Ninety-seven mayors of cities and towns in Luzon ravaged by Tropical Storm “Ondoy” and Typhoon “Pepeng” in 2009 supposedly received P900 million in Malampaya gas funds through bogus nongovernment organizations (NGOs) allegedly formed by businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles. Documents obtained by the Inquirer show that the funds were released through the Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR), the agency designated to support the rehabilitation of agrarian communities damaged by the two storms.
Napoles is the alleged mastermind in the P10 billion pork barrel scam.
Benjie Villamor of the Bureau of Immigration's intelligence unit said that the siblings’ posters have been placed on immigration counters nationwide with a directive to all officers to prevent the two from leaving the country. "Nag-issue kasi ng 'lookout' bulletin ang Department of Justice. So, they will be referred to the [BI] commissioner. We will have to wait for the commissioner's decision whether to let them leave the country," Villamor said. He said that the posters include information on the siblings' including their passports' numbers and dates of birth. The DOJ issued the "lookout" bulletin on the siblings as the government starts its investigation into the seven bogus non-government organizations allegedly controlled by Napoles as part of the pork barrel scam.
MANILA, Philippines—The Philippines on Wednesday deported a Dutch activist who attended an international conference on human rights and peace in Quezon City and participated in a protest demonstration marking President Aquino’s State of the Nation Address last month.
The day before, immigration agents prevented Thomas van Beersum, who was already at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport, from leaving the country. They detained him for 30 hours only to present him with a deportation order that said he was being penalized for violating the terms of his tourist visa by “overstaying” and “for engaging in partisan political activity.”
MALACAÑANG is throwing the book at former immigration chief Ricardo David Jr. following a complaint against him and other BI officials by a Greek national for alleged violations of human rights including not allowing him to receive medical and dental treatment. Undersecretary Ronaldo A. Geron, Discipline Officer of the Office of the President, directed David in an order issued last July 22 to explain and “show cause why no administrative disciplinary proceeding may be commenced against him” over the complaint against him by Nikolaos Spanoudis, a Greek national. Spanoudis charged that David and two other BI officials denied him medical care between the period March 5 to April 18 this year “by not providing immediate and timely dental care which caused the needless pain and suffering of the former for over 43 days.”
Fresh from A SWISS national who was said to be No. 9 most wanted person in the province was arrested by Authorities in a Resort in Boracay the other day. This was confirmed yesterday by Police Regional Office (PRO) 6 Director Chief Supt. Agrimero Cruz Jr. Cruz identified the suspect as Marcel Duschletta, 42, temporary residing at Mamocmanoc, Boracay Island. The suspect was arrested at around 9:45 a.m. by combined elements of Boracay Tourist Assistance Center and Malay Police in his Residence.
Cruz said the suspect is a fugitive and was facing Violation of Anti-Violence against women and their Children before Angeles City, Pampanga Regional Trial Court. The suspect was arrested based on a warrant of arrest issued by Court in Pampanga. The Court also issued PHP 50,000 Bail for the temporary liberty of the suspect.
Cruz explained that they received Information that the suspect was hiding in their area so he immediately ordered the Operation. The suspect will be turned over to the court in Pampanga for disposition.